Using a bug spray that is full of chemicals? Switch over to Bug Stick, a DEET-free bug repellent.
How It All Began:
Bug Stick was an unexpected discovery. When Green Chemist and founder Abby Meyer formulated the original Sun Elements product line in the summer of 2012, her lotion bars quickly became a popular item. Much to Abby’s surprise, people who were using the lotion bars to moisturize their skin started noticing not only amazingly soft skin but also fewer bug bites. Word started getting around about these bug-repelling lotion bars and soon people were asking for them to bring on their camping trips and even out of the country!
After gathering feedback from lotion bar users and tweaking the formulation, Bug Stick was born.
Bug Stick FAQS:
All-Natural Bug Repellent Balm Ingredients:
Each tube of Bug Stick contains Wisconsin-grown, certified organic sunflower oil, certified organic coconut oil, locally-sourced beeswax, and certified organic lemongrass essential oil. You can always feel safe knowing where our non-toxic ingredients come from.
Here’s Why It Works:
* Lemongrass oil – According to the EPA, lemongrass oil is classified as an approved minimum-risk pesticide. This means that in comparison with other big name brand ingredients, lemongrass oil is much safer for you and your family while remaining effective. For more information, please visit: https://www.epa.gov/minimum-risk-pesticides/active-ingredients-eligible-minimum-risk-pesticide-products
* Although ingredients contained within Bug Stick are listed as inert or inactive, our team believes that beeswax, coconut, and sunflower oil are major contributors to the balm’s natural insect repelling characteristics. Know that our feelings on this matter are based on published scientific research.
The science of repellency and what exactly causes bugs not to be attracted to you is kind of cool. It is an active area of research and scientists are figuring new things out all the time.
Did You Know:
* Scientists think there are two main ways that bugs detect repellents: olfaction and tactile chemoreception.
* Olfaction is a fancy way of saying the bugs smell something they don’t like and buzz off. That is why Bug Stick is infused with lemongrass essential oil – the bugs smell it and stay away!
* Tactile chemoreception is a fancy way of saying the bugs land on you, feel something they don’t like, and get lost. We believe the beeswax is contributing to creating that ‘no thanks’ feeling the bugs get when they land on your skin after you’ve applied the Bug Stick.
* Natural oils like sunflower oil and coconut oil have shown repellency against mosquitoes in multiple studies. Scientists aren’t totally sure why yet, but they have put forth a few theories. It looks like they contribute to both the smell and the feel mechanisms!
* Scientists don’t know for sure which mechanism is more important. Most natural products on the market are only addressing the smelling mechanism – all the essential oil-based products. The Bug Stick has covered all the bases!
Stick Over Spray?
Many have asked us why we chose to create a bug stick and not a natural bug spray. The answer is simple: the stick provides better coverage than sprays. With Bug Stick, you’ll never miss a spot during application. Using a stick also produces less product wastage. Unlike other bug repellents that contain essential oils, Bug Stick comes in a more manageable package, and not a tiny bottle. Our bug balm goes directly onto your exposed skin, and not your clothes. You also have the freedom to conveniently transport Bug Stick in your purse, beach bag, tackle box, or just about anywhere else you can imagine.
Disclaimers: Our product has not undergone scientific testing to determine its true efficacy. We have relied on the studies listed above about the efficacy of the individual ingredients as a guideline to formulate what we believe to be an effective product. We have also relied on the feedback of many repeat customers who have seen positive results, as well as our own observations.
Our product has not been registered by the US EPA. We represent that our product qualifies for exemption from registration under FIFRA, 40CFR, Sec. 152.25 (f) (1), (2), and (3), minimum risk pesticides.
We cannot guarantee that you and your family are completely protected from tick-borne illnesses such as Lyme Disease while using our product. If you live in an area of high Lyme Disease activity, please follow the CDC recommendations. Check out what the CDC has to say about natural tick repellents here:
Certified Organic Lemongrass Oil (3%)
Certified Organic Sunflower Oil, Beeswax, Certified Organic Coconut Oil (97%)
There are no reviews yet.